What Exactly Is A TCA Peel?
Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) is commonly used in low concentrations (20–35%) for a chemical peel to enhance the appearance of facial scars and skin aging.
See For Yourself
Series of Radio Frequency Pixel and TCA cross & subcision, ideal for patients looking to treat Acne ScarringHere at Derma Skin institute, Guelph, we have the most comprehensive array of laser treatment options in the region.
One of our m… Read More
Keep in mind that each patient is unique and your results may vary.
TCA CROSS: What Is It And How Does It Work?
The chemical repair of skin scars (CROSS) using trichloroacetic acid is known as TCA CROSS. It is most commonly used to treat atrophic acne scars. It’s affordable, safe, and efficient.
The choice to do a TCA CROSS is based on the following factors:
- Acne scarring’s type and severity
- Preferences and expectations of patient
- Clinician expectations and experience
TCA CROSS Is Effective In The Treatment Of The Following Forms Of Acne Scars:
- Boxcar scars
- Rolling scars
- Ice-pick scars
Combining Treatments With TCA CROSS
Treatments that can be combined with TCA CROSS for acne scars include:
- Topical retinoids
- Fractional laser treatment
The Effects Of TCA CROSS
When used correctly, TCA CROSS is moderately effective for atrophic acne scars. Patients may expect a 1- to 2-grade improvement in their acne scars over a 6-month period. Greater levels of patient satisfaction are associated with more severe pre-treatment scarring.
After The Procedure
The patient should be advised:
- Frosting of the scar surface after treatment will last up to 12 hours
- The skin around the treated sites will be red and sore for 24 to 48 hours
- After 2 to 3 days a small scab will develop, which falls off after 3 to 7 days
- He or she may wash as normal and may apply make-up if desired
- Sunscreen is recommended to reduce the chance of pigmentation
Most patients require 3 to 6 treatments with TCA CROSS for optimum improvement. Treatments may be repeated at 2 to 8-week intervals over 6 months.
Schedule A Consultation
Women and men interested in acne scar treatments with a TCA peel choose deRMA Skin Institute for their treatments. Request a consultation using the online form or call us at (888) 803-3762 to schedule an appointment with one of our dermatologists.