As temperatures go down it’s time to ramp up your skin care, says Guelph dermatologist Dr. Dusan Sajic of deRMA Skin Institute. Dr. Sajik shares 5 things everyone can do for healthier, more attractive skin all winter.
“It doesn’t look like we’ll be getting rid of our COVID-19 masks anytime soon. And, because half of our faces are covered, the focal point has become completely centered on the eyes and upper face. If the eyes were ever the window to one’s soul, that time is now.”
How can I care for my skin in winter?
Dr. Sajic says there are 5 things everyone can do to put their best face forward:
1. Get enough sleep! You don’t want tired-looking eyes to stare out at everyone. A well-balanced diet, as well as exercise and plenty of hydration, can also be very helpful.
2. Use a moisturizer or skin cream specifically made for the eye areas. This includes retinol creams. Winter’s dry, cold air saps moisture from the skin, resulting in dry skin that is prone to flaking. The skin around the eyes is very delicate, so choose creams and moisturizers with a lower concentration of ingredients for this area.
3. Use a good sunscreen on your forehead and entire face to avoid facial “tan lines” from wearing a mask and reduce your risk of sun damage. Many of our patients forget to wear sunscreen in the winter. It is especially important this year as many of us are getting outside more to beat COVID boredom.
4. Wear sunglasses and use blue light blocking filters on your computer screens and phones. Blue light contributes significantly to skin damage and faster aging.
5. Smooth out fine lines and wrinkles on your face, forehead, or around the eyes with BOTOX®, laser treatment, or radiofrequency treatments. “Wearing a mask accentuates facial lines since the rest of the face is covered up,” says Dr. Sajic.
Wearing a mask for hours a day can also lead to ‘maskne,’ the acne that develops in the area covered by a face mask. If you’re experiencing maskne or ‘COVID face,’ be sure to read Dr. Sajic’s tips in a related blog post.
When it comes to professional skin care or treatments like BOTOX, Guelph, Kitchener, and Cambridge women and men entrust their care to Dr. Sajic and his team. Use our online form to request a consultation at our Guelph dermatology clinic or call us at (888) 803-3762.